Monday, January 16, 2012

The Script

Music
2012


Being a child of the Classic Rock era I can basically say I'm sick of it. I love 70's music (pre-disco era) more than just about anyone, but I'm needing new musical stimulation. I can consume Classic Rock in small doses, I mean you have to, right?  You wouldn't necessarily take more than a few sips of TJ Swan or Southern Comfort at your age would you?

Indeed, I'm always looking for new music. Using Pandora and some of the other Internet Radio Stations is a great way to find new music. By new I mean the 90's and beyond. Yes, it's true I do not live on the cutting edge so something new to me may actually be yesterday's news.

I found The Script by way of an Internet Radio site called Last.fm. While you listen to a self-created station they always list "similar artists". I think I was listening to Parachute when The Script appeared. I clicked on it and I was hooked.

Their most popular song is probably "Breakeven". It's certainly not breaking any new ground, but it is just so well done and so very, very catchy that it instantly sticks in your head and stays there. The tune/melody is simultaneously familiar and new, the instrumentation upbeat, crisp and affirmative, capturing all the elements of a hit song.

They say bad things happen for a reason
But no wise words gonna stop the bleeding
'Cause she's moved on while I'm still grieving
And when a heart breaks no it don't breakeven even... no

What am I gonna to do when the best part of me was always you,
And what am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're ok
I'm falling to pieces, yeah,
I'm falling to pieces, yeah,
I'm falling to pieces

Vocalist Danny O'Donoghue describes their music as 'celtic soul' - I don't what that is??? Guitarist Marc Sheehan plays in an understated style that never takes over, but does drives the music forward. The first album (self-titled) proved to be an incredible success, topping the charts in serveral countries and establishing the Script as 2008's most popular newcomer. In 2009 Paul McCartney and U2 both put the band on stage to open several of their sold-out shows.

There is a lot of similarity between The Script and Maroon 5. If  I was asked who they sound like it would be them. I'm a fan of both. With their 2nd album Maroon 5 began to fall heavily into pure pop music whereas The Script inhabits what I would call pop rock. 

Some other stellar songs from The Script's 2 major releases include "Nothing", "The Man Who Can't Be Moved" and "For the First Time". You can sample and buy individual songs on ITunes and Amazon.com. While The Script may be old news to you I consider them one the best new bands on my playlist.

Check them out and enjoy!


4 of 5 stars

CW


No comments:

Post a Comment